Several concepts for one subject

Here are three different sculptures of Barn Owls I have done. Initially I am attracted to the fantastic pattern on the bird and the commanding presence of owls. Next a clear and strong concept is needed before you start to work and then everything in the sculpture works to support that concept. For example in the top owl I really was focusing on this beautiful and very particular patterning so I tillted the bird forward and opened the wings enough to really see a landscape of feathers and patternFinally turning the head and showing the profile added motion and interest as well.
In the sculpture with the old chains and rigging for draft horses I actually knew of a barn that had these things gathering dust in the loft. There was my concept and the angles and lines that arose from arranging these items created the sculpture.
The sculpture at the bottom was created with the concept of the "wise" owl in mind. I had a base made that looked like steps up to the sculpture as you would take up to a library or cathedral and the bird in a calm dignified pose was inset like you would see a statue in a wall in a church suggesting an Icon of some kind and finally I looked at portraits of people that I considered had the qualities that I was looking for and had these around me as I sculpted the owls face.
A little insight as to what might go into a sculpture of a bird ,for me that might not be evident at first glance. I will post a complete photo of the wise owl next time. Paul

Comments